Thursday, October 25, 2012

Malted Rice Krispies


I feel like malt has made a comeback in the past year or so. I'm pretty sure it used to be popular for the older generation (like 1950-60s?... not that that's old, for my more mature readers out there). It seemed like something people used to drink back then is all. I honestly didn't really know what malt was until a couple of years ago. I'd always heard the term "malt" associated with milkshakes but never took the time to learn what it was. I just figured they were a thicker milkshake.

For those of you who are also less familiar with this beauty let me enlighten you. I turn to my very accurate friend Wikipedia:

"Malt is germinated cereal grains that have been dried in a process known as "malting". The grains are made to germinate by soaking in water, and are then halted from germinating further by drying with hot air.Malting grains develops the enzymes required to modify the grain's starches into sugars, including monosaccharides such as glucose or fructose, and disaccharides, such as sucrose or maltose. It also develops other enzymes, such as proteases, which break down the proteins in the grain into forms that can be used by yeast."
Wow. I mean it's a grain? Am I the only one out there who didn't know this? It's all clicking now though. And Whoppers! I had no idea the flavor of whoppers was malt. Is this common knowledge?.. did I ever mention I'm blonde to you guys?

Anyhoo, like I was originally saying, I feel like malt is making a comeback. I'm finding it in cookies, cupcakes, ice creams, you name it! So I feel it is only appropriate that it makes an appearance as a rice krispy treat. I give you the Malted Krispy!

Malted Rice Krispy Treats

Malted Rice Krispies

4 Tbsp butter
6 cup marshmallows
6 Tbsp malt powder
1 tsp vanilla
6 cup krispies
1/4 tsp salt
1 5oz package of whoppers, crushed
extra whoppers for garnishing (optional)


In a large mixing bowl combine the rice krispies, salt, and whoppers. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and add the marshmallows. Stir until the marshmallows are mostly all melted (this will take a few minutes--low and slow is key for perfect texture) then stir in the malt powder and vanilla.

Once fully melted, take them off heat and pour over the rice krispy mixture. Stir lightly to combine. Dump everything into a greased 9x9 pan. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then with greased hands go in and flatten the top. Allow them to cool at least an hour. Cut into squares and serve each piece topped with a whopper. Enjoy!


PS: Malt-O-Meal cereals... it just occurred to me. Who knew?!

3 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. thanks for that. we need more sites like this. i commend you on your great content and excellent topic choices. white rice recipe Thank you for this blog. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something thats eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, you've covered so many bases. Good stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The varieties of rice are typically classified as long-, medium-, and short-grained.The grains of long-grain rice (high in amylose) tend to remain intact after cooking; medium-grain rice (high in amylopectin) becomes more sticky. Best wholesale rice distributors offer rice that are used for sweet dishes, for risotto in Italy, and many rice dishes, such as arrĂ²s negre, in Spain. Some varieties of long-grain rice that are high in amylopectin, known as Thai Sticky rice, are usually steamed.
    visit our website for further information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks" rice suppliers in pakistan I think so. I think your article will give those people a good reminding. And they will express thanks to you later

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...